Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8" Generator concrete pad on grade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdengos

Structural
Mar 8, 2016
US
I always have a question for the slab on grade concrete pad design. It's not minor non important concrete pad that can ignore the frost depth by code.
Should I have a 2' thicken edge all around for the pad, or should I have 3'-6" deep edges all around so it's below frost depth.

I have seen 8" slab directly on grade without thicken edges, or 2' thicken edges, or 3'-6" thicken edges slab design. Which is proper?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am in a highly frost susceptible area. Generators that are capable of accommodating seasonal movement aren't provided with frost protected foundations. Similar for ground level mechanical units. If the mechanical guys can ensure that connections to the unit are capable of accommodating the expected movement, then we don't frost protect the foundations.

Note coarser fill under the pad can reduce/eliminate frost heave potential.

Can the equipment tolerate movement? if not, then piles, or insulation... Unless very heavy stuff... normally 5" or 6" slab and 12"x16" edge stiffeners in these environs... yes, and we have frost heave, too.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back