Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

800/900 AMP Fault interruption, fault isolation, and circuit restoration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gforce08

Electrical
Mar 20, 2023
US
At 15.5kv S&C's IntelliRupter is rated at 16000 Short-circuit breaking and symmetrical. Has anyone figured out the best application or how to utilize S&Cs IntelliRupter? If used before, how well does it coordinate?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cool, thanks for the info. What type of applications has anyone used the intellirupter for? Is it worth it as opposed to other Reclosers on the market?

Typical recloser applications. The one benefit they have is an ability to "test" the line with less energy than a full reclose to determine if a fault has cleared. That can be useful in some cases (for example near sensitive loads or generators). Overall, if price competitive they are quality units, but not more or less justified than any other manufacturer for most applications.

I was told yesterday the IntelliRupter helps balance the load among substations; the unit uses Rogowski coil sensors instead of CTs. Because Rogowski coils have much smaller power loss than conventional CTs, they provide excellent energy savings and reduced lifecycle costs. What other devices are Rogowski coils used in?

Can you clarify how an IntelliRupter would balance load between substations? Any brand of switch/recloser can be used to reconfigure the distribution grid.

Rogowski coils are becoming a more common alternative to traditional CTs in many distribution devices. Traditional CTs do not have excessive amounts of loss, so I am baffled how Rogowski coils could save significant amounts of energy. Typically the main advantage of Rogowski coils is that they are smaller/cheaper than traditional CTs.

ir1_2_swop5u.jpg
ir2_2_dyv5mi.jpg

These were from a course completed yesterday put on by an engineering group. You're right about how any brand can balance the load between substations.; Most manufacturers of reclosers controls can enable sectionalizer features as well. The above images are some examples of how the IntelliRupter can be utilized. They noted Intelligent fuse saving can be achieved as well. I'm just trying to understand where others are putting the units up because I am new to the features of the unit and have not spoken with many who have used it.

A document attached supporting the use of regowski coils. There is more where this came from. Because Rogowski coils have much smaller power loss than conventional CTs, they provide excellent energy savings and reduced lifecycle costs. Rogowski Coils can easily replace conventional CTs for protection, metering, and control and have been applied at all voltage levels (low, medium, and high voltage)

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a5d96a95-c9da-446a-88b9-d03f1baddbb0&file=Comparative_CTs_and_RCs.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back