Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8m2 I-DEAS Help File Reconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnowracer

Jan 18, 2009
US
I am running I-DEAS 8m2 standalone and have been since switching from Artisan. For many years I have been running it without the Help files. They used to work when searching for a particular task or searching using the Context question mark. I've been using SDRC or I-DEAS since version 1.2 back in 1991. For me, it is the only software package that does everything I've ever asked it to do.

I have used Pro-E, Solid Works, Catia and NX with a number of companies, but none come close to the capabilities of SDRC/I-DEAS. Well, Catia maybe, but it's clumsier than I-DEAS.

Getting to the point, I design and manufacture scale model aircraft. But would like to find a way to reconnect my Help Files. They where quite handy at times, however, I'm not a IT person nor do I fully understand how I-DEAS really works under the hood, so to speak.

I can go into my C drive and find all the HTML files related to the Help command in I-DEAS, but don't know how to have them interface the I-DEAS software. It was years ago right after Windows 2000 was hooked to the internet, MS made some kind of update and right after that my HTML Help files ceased working. I promptly took my 2000 Pro PC off the internet. I can't quantify how well the PC run after that, but it was faster, smoother and a heck of a lot more reliable. But Help Files no longer worked.

Has this ever happened to anyone else out there running I-DEAS 8m2?? If so, would you be willing to help me re-establish a connection to my I-DEAS Help files?

Much appreciated.

Greg T
Thomas Designs
Burnsville MN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So Help is still installed and the files are still there....

Taking I-Deas out of the equation for a mo. go to %SDRC_INSTL%\SDRCHelp\LANG\English and open library.html in your web browser. Does help work? Can you search?

If not you've probably got an incompatible web browser or Java version installed.

I-Deas 8m2 was released back in 2001 and only distributed on CD-Rom. If you need a version of I-Deas that old you'll have to contact Siemens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back