Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

90/10 CuNi for Sect 8, Div 1 Heat Exchanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanrick

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2008
US
Hello All,

We are designing a heat exchanger for marine service. The customer has asked that the tubeside meet ASME Code Sec8 Div1 and be made of 90/10 CuNi. I'm making the Domes and Flanges out of SB171-C706. I don't see any CuNi in Sect 2 Part D for B16.5 flanges and B16.11 fittings. So I'm making couplings out of SB467-C706 XXS pipe. The required 1-1/2" NPT plugs are undefined however, because SB151-C706 is not permitted. My only other option seems to be to machine them out of SB171-C706.

Am I missing something? My google-searches for 90/10 fittings have come up empty, as have my searches in Eng-Tips for guidance. Are there 90/10 CuNi fittings and flanges available for Code use? Or can I propose an alternate material to the customer?

Thanks for helping me move up the learning curve here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

stanrick, you might take a look at Table U-3, ASME B16.24 flanges, ASME B16.15 fittings. I don't have these standards, can't confirm 90/10 is within the scope.

I just design the flanges per Appendix 2. Don't know about fittings.

Regards,

Mike

ok, i will ask a silly question; does he mean for you to use 90/10 for the tubes - not the shell?

Plugs? Several US manufacturers make them out of MIL-C-15726F barstock, they may be able to give you some guidance on an equivalent ASME spec.

Google "copper and brass fittings". Several of the vendors we've used in the past for C706 and C715 fittings and flanges are on the first page of the results. I'm sure they have some answers.

-TJ Orlowski

I've run into the same issue in the past, and we ended up making flanges, couplings, and plugs out of plate SB-171 C706. All the leads I had for finding 90/10 forged fittings were dead-ends or were not allowed per Code, as you mentioned for the SB-151 bar stock.

Thanks all for your input and guidance. In answer to eyec, the tubes, tubesheets and waterboxes are 90/10. The shell is carbon steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back