Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A 3D beam contacts with a 3D shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuchi Kang

Jan 31, 2018
SE
Dear All:
I am doing a simulation in Abaqus about A 3D beam contacts with a 3D shell. One end of this beam is fully fixed and the other end contacts with a shell. The shell is loaded with an upward movement (in Z-direction)which may deform the beam. The results are so weird. The shell rotates along Z-axis and move upward simultaneously. I don't know how to fix the problem. Thanks for helping me!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f27004fb-0da8-4be0-90bb-b3f24ab9d6a9&file=20180211.zip
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is just the one displacement constraint on the shell, so the nodes can move free in the other directions. In this case the shell rotates. Maybe you should restrain the other translations too.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have already added more boundary conditions to this model and it did work. When I check the final results, there are something wrong with the contact location.
1_sns410.jpg
I have read that general contact is more approximate for the beam contact. Also, one paper related my model adopt the general contact and they use the soft contact. But I don't know how to add soft contact here. Thanks for helping me

Yuchi

I think GC would be good when the contact it more at the beam element, but in you case the contact is purely at the node. Here I would use a contact pair (with adjust) and use a node-to-surface formulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back