Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A better method for turning 3d drawn parts into dimensioned prints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TspaceJ

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2004
US
Hi,
I'm new here - googled autocad forums so I could ask some advice from seasoned autocad users who frequently design parts/systems in 3d. I apologize for the lengthy post in advance - just trying to avoid responses that won't help.

A little background...if you could care less, skip to the next paragraph. I've been using AutoCAD since release 11 was new. However, after 2 semesters of it in the classroom, I've been totally on my own. I work for a company where all the Autocad knowledge begins & ends with me, so I have no collegues to exchange CAD know-how with. I primarily design small automated systems for processing ID cards. I have always been better at designing when I create models in 3D. This is perhaps where I go wrong...

I've found it very tedious to turn my 3D parts into dimensioned prints for the machine shop. Sure you can call out dimensions on the 3D part, but when it comes to hidden lines I end up redrawing those portions, then enabling the hideplot option.

Is there a way to flatten a certain view so that certain features can be changed to hidden lines?

Sorry if this is a rookie question, but the longer I use AutoCAD, the less I seem to know.

Thanks for any help,
-TJ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back