Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A CAD program software

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineeringDr

Mechanical
May 28, 2004
CA
Is there a software that comes with a large library of pre-built 3D models of engineering components and assemblies? For example, in mechanical engineering; we frequently use:
gearboxes (assembly),
cam-follower assembly,
turbines,
pumps,
heat-exchanger,
conveyors belt, chain,
equipments like cranes, excavators,
It would be great if the software comes with these pre-built categorized

PhD Mechanical/Industrial Engineering
Licensed professional engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IRstuff said:

but it's likely that any component you find is a point design.
Thank you for your response. It is mostly parts/components, usually assemblies are of low quality or not working.
I am looking for a pre-built library that is offline hopefully it comes with the software itself.

Not to mention that drawing standards differ from user to user, so a single CAD component wouldn't satisfy more than a few users. Additionally, the effort to alter a CAD design to fit some other design point is non-trivial; I've seen components for cars where each car model from the same car company has a different component configuration. Even the "simple" gear can be designed quite differently, even with the same radius and tooth count.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

MintJulep said:
There is no business case for a CAD software company to do this because the effort is large and neverending and the risk is high.
IRstuff said:
Not to mention that drawing standards differ from user to user, so a single CAD component wouldn't satisfy more than a few users. Additionally, the effort to alter a CAD design to fit some other design point is non-trivial; I've seen components for cars where each car model from the same car company has a different component configuration. Even the "simple" gear can be designed quite differently, even with the same radius and tooth count.
Thanks
I intend to use it for educational purposes and not looking for the industrial complexity

No. Aside from the maintenance and quality nightmare that would create for software companies, users would also end up with petabytes of mostly useless data.

Major manufacturers and distributors like McMaster typically have free online CAD libraries where you can quickly/easily download models. If you cannot easily locate a company's library, a quick email with a part or model number is usually all that's needed. There's also Grabcad, 3dcontentcentral, and several other websites where you can download mostly hobbyist models, some free and others paid.

CWB1 said:
No. Aside from the maintenance and quality nightmare that would create for software companies, users would also end up with petabytes of mostly useless data.

Major manufacturers and distributors like McMaster typically have free online CAD libraries where you can quickly/easily download models. If you cannot easily locate a company's library, a quick email with a part or model number is usually all that's needed. There's also Grabcad, 3dcontentcentral, and several other websites where you can download mostly hobbyist models, some free and others paid.
Thanks

When I was still working for Siemens and supporting the NX community, when people asked us about 3rd party sources for models of standard parts, beyond what was being shared in the NX user community itself, this is the site we generally recommended:

Screenshot_2023-01-12_at_6.02.34_PM_j9krfj.png

Disclaimer: I have no business relationship with PARTsolutions, however, when I was still working, I was acquainted with the founder, and on more than one occasion, I've shared the stage with him or another representative of the company, at various engineering conferences and trade-shows.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back