Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A free, rigorous cross-section analysis tool for engineers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

handofthelion

Structural
Jul 7, 2014
AU
Hi all,

I'd like to share with you a free python program that analyses an arbitrary cross-section using the finite element method:
GitHub Page
More Info

It outputs properties that can be used in structural design, such as the second moment of area, elastic and plastic section moduli, torsion constant, warping constant, shear centre, shear areas and many more. The program also calculates normal and shear stresses resulting from an acting axial force, bending moments, torsion moment and/or transverse shear forces.

I made this because I couldn't find anything out there that was free, gave me everything I wanted, could analyse any section imaginable, or was super easy to use, so I hope I've fulfilled all the above.

Always happy to receive feedback, positive or negative, but I hope it's useful for at least one other person [glasses]

my structural engineering blog

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been doing some work with this, and everything is working fine. I copied the Meshpy folders to the folder with your code, and everything works with no problem.

I have set up a couple of Excel user-defined functions using xlwings. These read the input data from the spreadsheet and also return all the numerical results to the spreadsheet. The geometric results agree exactly with my section properties spreadsheet, to machine precision. I'm about to check the shear and torsion results against a FEA program.

At the moment the graphics (optionally) display in sequence in their own graphic box, the same as running direct from Python. I'll have a look at writing these as Excel graphics later.

I'll post some examples on my blog in a few days (with a link to your site).

Thanks again for all your work on this, and making it available.

p.s. I gave a presentation on limit state design methods last week, and used the Citicorp story from your site as an example.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Great to hear that you've got it to work and are extending it in Excel! I think that it's important to make it user-friendly for the engineering community. Unfortunately I don't have the experience to implement it effectively in Excel (the engineer's favourite tool!) so am very excited to see what you do with it!

Looking forward to your blog post and flick me an email if you have any questions! Oh and glad to see you enjoyed the Citicorp story, it really is one of the 'engineering thrillers' haha!

my structural engineering blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back