Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A fresh graduate student, I want to work in the cutting tool design. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eton

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2021
US
I am a fresh graduate student, I want to work in the metal cutting industry, close to cutting tool design; I am very confused, I don’t know any books, videos can help me learn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Machinery's handbook for starters. Lot's of info on cutting tools. Maybe a general machining book - like Machine Tools and Practices by Kibbe, Neely, Meyer and White. Any end mill or drill manufacturer or carbide insert maker will have useful info on their websites - try Kennametal, Emuge, Guhring, OSG, Sandvik.

First of all, thank you for your replies, which are very useful to me; another question is, what kind of drawing software should I use for the product design of cutting tools? I have seen some cutting tool designs before. They often make some angle changes in the cutting edge. So what software is more suitable for me to learn?

I'd guess your tool cutter would want a 3d solid model. Solidworks is nice but expensive. If just a drawing and 2d is o.k. (contact your tool manufacturer) then AutoCad is good but also expensive.

I would recommend finding a position in a large plant that grinds their own tools. Just as with any other aspect of engineering, you will learn more and faster under a good mentor than you ever will trying to teach yourself. As for software, I would start with Creo and NX, then learn MasterCAM, esp macro programming for it. Solidworks is an ok teaching and simplified shop floor tool for the trades but not something most engineers waste time with, same as AutoCAD.

That is a huge problem with any engineering / schooling, these days. My opinion too many wana be's that have no first hand experience in what they think they want to do. If you want to understand cutting tools the first place to start is a trainee at a small company that sharpens and designs such tools for local machine shops, especially aircraft related ones. Then next move on to operating some of the various machines that the tools are used on, to get a feel for what works good and what doesn't. I guess CWB1 was inline with what I just said. Its going to be very difficult to design an item that you have never worked with, and again my opinion a top cutting tool designer does not need an engineering degree, I know many that likely dropped out of high school.

The comments below the list of books was interesting as well.
I would have added. I would never recommend to any young person to work for some outfit as a machinist or tool maker or ? This is why, you will have to always deal with crappy management, some crappy employees, have no freedom in how to accomplish the job, can't dare have a day off when you want, and worse of all have to stand for 8 hours a day or get fired because you can't physically do that.
No wonder everyone is having such a difficult time finding people to hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back