Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A guide for junior fire protection engineer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_safety

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2023
MA
Hey, i know this question should not be posed in this forum, but i really need your input, i'm a freshly graduated mechanical engineer, i work for a fire protection firm, and I want to know what makes a fire protection engineer a good one and what things i should work on and know to excel in this domain

I am far from a FPR

1. So are you going to go to school and be a FPE?

2. From what I have seen over the years,,,,, a FPE seems to specialize in one area,,, some will cover more than that.

3. So with that said, if you are going to do sprinkler design,,,,, learn as much as possible,,, find a mentor or two to guide you.

4. Go into the field to see actual installations going on,,, and the problems they run into.

5. Make friends with the ahj plan reviewer. See what they expect.

Join any assoc in the area and sprinkler assoc and

Good luck

Thanks you so much for your input, at the moment i have no intention to go back school and study FPE, but who knows later, what are the other areas that some FPEs cover ? Do you have any free forums about fire ...

“”””what are the other areas that some FPEs cover ? ””””

Building code consultation

Smoke removal systems

Various hazardous material situations

Fire research

Work for fire departments, plan review, special projects, etc

Commission fire protection systems

Work on various types of fire protection systems

Fire inspections

Either conduct or assist in fire investigations

Etc

Thank you all guys for your valuable input and resources, i will work hard to improve my self, really appreciated

I've been designing sprinkler systems for nearly 50 years now, my first NFPA #13 was 1974, and it has been an excellent career choice because the work can be challenging at times and fun to do. I am one of those who still work at 75 years of age not because I have to, I don't, but the work is actually a fun thing to do.

It's been a great ride and you never have to worry about being out of a job and even at my age I could find a job tomorrow if I had to.

If I were in your shoes I would work toward a PE and, at the same time is possible, find a job as a sprinkler designer trainee working for a company. You will learn more by actually doing than you could ever learn from a book. That's just my opinion.

A PE, not FPE just PE, degree with a NICET III or IV is nearly priceless in our industry. You would always be a six figure man always in high demand.

You might be amazed at the number of PE's who hold NICET certification just because of its ability to cross state lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back