Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A large hole in the web of an important shear wall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJR

Structural
Dec 23, 2000
TR
I have a large shearwall subjected to large moment and shears and I have detailed as follows

1) End zones take the moment
2) web takes the shear by longitudinal and horizontal reinforcements uniformly spaced.

Now the architect wants a large hole in the web close to foundation level. So I am losing my shear transfer.

I am thinking of transforming into a heavily reinforced beam just above the hole to act as a compression member and then spread out the compression force to foundation by using a pair of diagonals again using heavy reinforcement.

V---> 1 -------------------------1
1 * * 1
1 * * 1
1 * * 1
1 * * 1

V=shear force
1=end zone
--- = my new compression member hidden in the wall
*** = my new diagonals hidden in the wall

I will anchor diagonals into beam and end-zones carefully and tie closely

Do you think this one will work.

regards
IJR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IJR...looks like a plausible solution. Check the moment resulting from the couple produced at your diagonals under lateral load (shear). As you translate to the right in your diagram by loading, the right diagonal goes into compression and the left one goes into tension. Assuming the lateral translation (drift) to be very small, this doesn't create a problem, but if any significant drift occurs, you then have an additional moment thrown into the beam. If you have substantial connections at each location, you might get a bit of "moment magnification" as well.

Thanx Ron for the lightning-fast response

The detail above will be used at basement level where I expect very small drifts. So I guess I am not going to have drift induced moments. I will check on it anyway

Additional thanx Ron

respects
IJr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back