Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

a line that is usually without valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

farahnaz77

Chemical
Apr 20, 2004
IT
I’d like to know why on connecting pipe between a cooler/condenser located after a gas compressor and receiver/drum there is no valve?
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two reasons I can think of off hand. One, to work on each one the compressor has to be off anyway. Two, one relief device serves all three.

Good luck,
Latexman

farahnaz77:

Use your logic. Proper and experienced engineering design dictates that the vapor spaces of a condenser and its corresponding downstream receiver should be connected by an equalization line in order to ensure complete and efficient gravity drainage of the condensate into the receiver.

One valve would be insufficient to block the condenser from the receiver; you would need another valve on the equalization line as well.

But Latexman's two reasons are even stronger. Why in the world would you require a block valve between the condenser and the receiver? You fail to give us the most important basic data: this is a refrigeration loop (circuit) or part of a compressed gas liquefaction system -- correct? Since you don't tell us, I have to assume something. You should furnish all the basic data if you want a specific, correct answer - and identifying the process is part of the basic data.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

As it has already been said it all depends on the system: its size, the service it accomplishes, gas cleanliness, whether there are two parallel condensers, and so forth. As I usually recommend: follow Mr Montemayor's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back