Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A liner to protect a liner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WARose

Structural
Mar 17, 2011
US
Got a client who wants a stairway [to hell....well actually] into a detention pond. (Basically so people can get in/out without slipping all over the banks.) I've come up with a catwalk....but the (concrete) foundation is a issue. We are talking bearing on the pond liner....and potentially damaging it. I was thinking about putting down a dirt pad, and then the concrete. But if anyone can think of other alternatives....they'd be welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How deep is it? Or how long would the stairway be?
Could you somehow cantilever it down and out and "just" clear the liner below?

Or use some type of bladder-like pad system to cushion the stringers from denting the liner.

I had a pond that I did recently and designed a large dock situated on several concrete piers. The liner system was flashed and sealed to the piers much like a roofing system would be flashed around any penetrating vent pipes or HVAC unit supports.

How deep is it? Or how long would the stairway be?
Could you somehow cantilever it down and out and "just" clear the liner below?

It's about 25 feet long. So a cantilever is most likely out.

Or use some type of bladder-like pad system to cushion the stringers from denting the liner.

That's kind of what I was thinking about....but was looking for a product recommendation. Most pads I can think of....they are more for dry applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back