A little help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ficabj5

Computer
Jul 17, 2016
RS
Hi everyone,
I am 18 years old and will enroll to university this autumn. I will be studying computer science on TUe (Technical University of Eindhoven). A little more than a year ago I started learning c++ and am pretty satisfied with my programming skills at the moment. I do realize I have a lot more to learn but I am looking for a new challenge.
To cut to the chase, I cannot decide whether to learn Java or C#.
I will be learning Java at the university and can take C# classes as electives, so I am able to learn both at the university. I realize they are very similar in some ways and completely different in others, and it all depends on what I plan on doing with them. I would really like to do something with artificial intelligence in professional terms, however I don't want to learn it by myself at the moment (I will be learning it at university).
Do you guys have any suggestions on what should I choose?
BTW: Is there anyone who is also going to TUe, I don't know anyone there yet [smile]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Until you decide what you want to do with your skills, I think you should do at least both, and include possibly one or more of the following:
Python -- scientific and other programming
HTML5 -- web page design
PHP -- web page server scripting
Ruby/Ruby on Rails -- more comprehensive web page design and management
JSON or XML --text-based data formatting and transport

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529

As someone who has worked in the embedded world for umpteen years... I would MUCH rather have someone with C# experience than Java. Of course, if I was hiring for web app positions, Java would likely be heavily preferred over C#.

It all depends upon what you want to get into...

Dan - Owner
URL]

As the others have said the specific language you choose will depend on the work you do. At school you should concentrate on learning the different types of language used so that in the end you will be able to choose the right one. Your university program will probably be oriented towards exposing you to the different types.

For instance to give you an idea (might be a bit out of date),

1) Compiled languages such as C++ or Fortran, usually used for speed.

2) Just-in-time compiled languages with a virtual machine such as Java or C#. Since these languages work within a set environment the often have good user interface integration.

3) Interpreted languages such as Python, Perl, or Ruby which are quick to program. Powerful enough now for most user-based programming.

4) Markup languages such as HTML or XML. These are usually used with scripting languages such as Javascript, PHP, or any of the above.

There are also more specialized languages for databases, math and statistical packages, etc. It's also worth knowing which languages are more platform independent or what environments are required for them. Languages are always in development so you will be learning new ones throughout your career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back