Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A question about EDIT UG_GATEWAY_MAIN_MENUBAR > Actions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lklo

Industrial
Nov 24, 2010
DK
Hi -
I'm a little challenged these days, because I'm not fully aware how a small mechanism in NX works..
It is regarding how the parameter ACTIONS is handled in a menu file (*.men)....
I have created a lot of menu files in the past - and always the ACTION parameter is pointing to the *.dll (custom application)...works very well..

Then I saw in the 3Dconnexion plug-in - there is also a *.men file placed in the startup folder for this plugin...
But there is only one .*dll file - but there are 3 button sections in the menu file....each of them have the parameter ACTIONS defined.
But I wonder how these parameter is handled....?
Does NX look inside the *.dll and search for the individual ACTIONS...
ec. ACTIONS On3DxButtonMappingEditor , ACTIONS On3DxHelp , ACTIONS On3DxAbout -but only one *.dll in directory and this name is 3DxNX.dll
How does this work....?

Regarding the 3Dconnexion - everything works fine, but I just want to know if someone can tell me, how where NX finds these ACTIONS...?

The reason I ask for all this, is that since we updated to NX11 in our company, it has been necessary to put in entire filepath to the application's in our custom menufiles for each ACTIONS...
I have wondered why - but just did it....
If I not do this - NX raises an error when the button is pushed..."No action for this button"

But now - in our Ansys plug-in - the scenario is, that there are several ACTIONS defined in the *.men file, but only one(or two) *.dll - In this case I cannot put in entire filepath, because the ACTION does not refer directly to a *.dll application.....

Maybe someone can guide me on this issue...

lklo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hmm - think I found one of the answers by myself....
Seems like it's possible to use the NXOpen Class MenuBarManager.AddMenuAction....then - in the application - it is possible do defined a name for the ACTIONS in the menu file...

Then I still need to find out why this error is comming (see attached pic), when I press a custom button...
We are planning upgrade from NX8.5 to NX 11
I have never ever seen an error before like this..

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d23680f8-b152-45cf-9801-a791f08aa942&file=MenuButtonDefinition.zip
To be able to load your .dlls without a path name, you need to tell NX where to look for them in your custom_dirs.dat file.

You can find its location by looking for the environment variable UGII_CUSTOM_DIRECTORY_FILE in you log file. Add the folder path to your .dll files and it should fix your menu issue.

Hi cpttrips-
Thanks for your reply....
I will give it a try...
Do you think it shall be the entire path to the *.dll(s) or just the path to the folder where the folders : startup an application resides???

Regards lklo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back