Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A question on feasibility studies

Status
Not open for further replies.

glassmaker

Automotive
Jan 17, 2002
US
Is it possible to have to analysis features equal to each other under the design constraints field? I want to enter angle:analysis1=angle:analysis2. My design variable is a point on a curve, lenght ratio that controls angle:analysis1. PLEASE HELP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create a relation in your part:
angle:analysis1 = angle:analysis2

Then use angle:analysis2 = xxxxx in the constraints fiels

-Hora.

The angle is unknown. The point on the curve can vary three inches which will make angle one vary. Angle two is also dependant on the point. I want to find the locattion of the point that will make the two angles equal.

Glassmaker,

Use an optimization feature to control this.
First, create analysis features that measure the angles, locations, lengths, etc. that are not represented in dimensions that control your features; which is sounds like you have.
Next set up a relation analysis feature that computes the error in what is measured from what is desired. In your example:
error = abs(angle:analysis1 -angle:analysis2)
The next feature is the optimization feature, under #Analysis, #Feasibility/Optimization. Set up this feature to have a controlled dimension or parameter that minimizes the error from the relation feature and (optionally) constrains the design. If you use the "abs" in the relation, you do not need to use the "minimize absolute value" in the optimization feature.

I use this functionality often now. It works very well. Let us know how it works for you.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back