Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A quick and easy method for Bound Box in WF2+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcorona

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2006
US
Like the title says, I am looking to find a way to generate a bounding cube (X,Y,& Z dims), in relation to a defined csys, around a solid part/assembly for estimating steel requirements and packaging. I had a demo of a program in Solidworks that would do exactly that called Minbbox(from right here at Eng-tips) but we are looking to get rid of Solidworks and I cant seem to contact that author anymore.

I'd need the method to be friendly for a non-Pro/e-user as well as quick and convenient for our Pro/E users if they have to do a lot of these calculations themselves.

Does anyone know of either a built in method that I may be missing or some script/program that can be run to scheive my goals?

Thanks,

Frank Corona

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Frank,

Pro/E Behavioral Modeling (BMX) should be able to do this, I have seen a BMX example demonstrated fitting a minimum box around a 3D pipe. If this is set up correctly, it would be user friendly enough for anyone to use.

Just out of interest, why are you looking to get rid of Solidworks?

John

BMX may be an option but I dont know if I can justify the $2000+/year(just a guess) in additional maintenance. Any other options?

As for Solidworks, we're looking to get rid of it for a couple of reasons.

First, we build plastic injection mold tooling (and some aluminum die cast) and Pro/E has a far superior mold design package, at least in my opinion.

Second, better than 90% of our customers use Wildfire or Wildfire 2 so having that direct interoperability is a plus.

Third, we also have a 2-D design package based on the old CIMCAD that was the basis for most legacy work.

Finally, since we are not a consulting company the management doesnt feel the need to keep on paying maintenance for a 3rd CAD package that is very seldom used.

I personally like SW and have done a lot of cool stuff in it but in this case we really have no need for it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back