Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Rectifier with a Filter Capacitor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter7139

Electrical
Dec 26, 2013
US
I am working on connecting a bridge rectifier and a capacitor to my AC 3 phase generator to get a DC power with small voltage ripple. But, I don't know how to choose a correct capacitor.

Is there anyone can share some information about how to choose a right capacitor to me?

My generator is going to produce about 100W (8V~60V).

Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We need a little bit more info Peter, Since you mention 8V to 60V, are these the phase-to-phase peak voltage levels from your generator due to various rotational speeds? I'll make some assumptions.

For calculating ripple, a good approximation can be made assuming that rectification only occurs in pulses at the top of the sine peaks (terrible power factor) and decays between the sine peaks. For example, if it's a 6krpm generator with 1 pole-pair, you'd have ~1.6ms between rectification. If you want <1V ripple at 1.7A out of your 60V, the capacitor would be: C = 1.7A*1.6ms/1V = 2,700uF.

Darrell Hambley P.E.
SENTEK Engineering, LLC

Yes, the power and voltage will change due to different RPM.

Our generator is 3 phase 12 coils and 16 magnets. How to calculate C in this case. Do I use the parameters of maximum RPM to calculate the C?

and how about the voltage of capacitor? how to choose the right value? If the maximum output voltage of my generator is 60V, can I just choose 60V capacitor?

Thank you all!!!!

But, what are your design specifications?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back