A request for help on data for Dimethyl Carbonate (DMC) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerardd.

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2023
NL
Dear All,

I am looking for the specific heat capacity (Cp) in kJ/(kg.˚C) for Dimethyl Carbonate (DMC). I have found the molar heat capacity in a database, but this is expressed in Kelvin: 261 – 540 K.
For my calculation I need it expressed in kJ/(kg.˚C). Someone has told me I can also use the molar mass for DMC: 90.08 g/mol = 11,101 mol/kg. But from this point I don't know how to get to the specific heat capacity in kJ/(kg.˚C)
I am by no means a chemical engineer. My knowledge does not go far enough to figure this out. Is there someone who can help me with this issue?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
Based on data collected on the web, Cp liquid is within the range {153.2 -173.68} J/mol K; Teta (288.15-333.15) K
after calculation (Cp range)
Cp liquid 1.70071048 Kj/Kg C; Cp liquid 1.928063943 Kj/Kg C, between 15-60C

Pierre

Dear Pierre,

Based on your answer for the Cp for DMC I have tried to determine the Cp for Ethylene Carbonate (EC).
I made the following calculation:
EC mol mass = 88,06 g/mol -> 1.000/88,06 = 11,356 mol/kg.

Cp = 158,51 J/mol K
Cp = 0,15851 kJ/mol x 1 kJ x 11,1356 mol/kg = 1,80 kJ/kg.

I would be most obliged if you could let me know if this is correct?

In addition, I have another question related to the Hvap for both compounds.
A google search for DMC says the Hvap = 369 kJ/kg. But I also find the following results: [37.70; 38.00] kJ/mol.
A google search for EC gives me only the answer in kJ/mol - I need this, again, in kJ/kg.

I don't know if the same calculation applies. When I, for example, try to calculate the Hvap for DMC I get a different result: 38 kJ x 1 kJ x 11,101 mol/kg = 421,838 kJ/kg. That's a difference of 52,838 degrees Celsius than the given answer online.
Am I using the correct formula, or should I use a other formula?

Thanking you in advance.

Gerard.

Dear Pierre,

I am already very grateful for your help.
Now that I have been able to convert some data and know what my energy input should be for the different fluids. I now have to go to the next step: sizing the heated surface.

I have read the following: By equating the 2 equations for Q you can calculate the required heat transfer area on the heated surface for 1 second of contact time.
The equations are as follows:
1: Q = m x Cp x ΔT + m x ΔH[sub]vap[/sub]
2: Q = U x A x ΔT[sub]LM[/sub]

But I have really no clue how to equate these 2 equations..

Could you help me out with this?

Kind regards, Gerard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back