Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A simple cantilever beam static loading deflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephX

Aerospace
Nov 22, 2012
US
Hi all

I am newbie on using Abaqus. Now, I have to finish an analysis on a simple cantilever beam to investigate its deflection under different loads at either free-end and mid-point. Initially, I need to generate the deflection of the cantilever beam without any loads applied but due to its own weight it definitely will have the deflection. So, the problem is that how can I use Abaqus to find this result. I searched my materials from Internet but many of them are related to the deflection under the loading. Actually, I try to add the density of the beam into Abaqus but when I submit it to analysis the result did not state the deflection. Thanks.

Regards,
Joseph

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can add the density of the material in the *MATERIAL card, and then apply a body force via a distributed load.
Assuming acceleration due to gravity , g in the negative z direction, your deck should look something like
*NODE
*ELEMENT, ELSET = Beam
*SECTION...
*STEP
*STATIC
*BOUNDARY....
*DLOAD
Beam, GRAV, g, 0, 0, -1
*OUTPUT...
*END STEP

Status
Not open for further replies.