Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A simple question on sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

boofootoo

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2003
US
I am new to Pro/E. I want to model a circular part in Pro/E. To do so, I am revolving tha sketch about an axis.
The c/sectional sketch (a complex one with lots of lines) of the part has dimensions from 1.0 to 4.0 inches.
I open Pro/E 2001, go to feature->create->solid->protrusion & then select the planes & finally reach the sketch mode.

Then I go to the quadrant-1 & start sketching the c/s. Once I draw the final line & close the sketch. I find that the dimensions are in the range of 150, 200, 300 inches.

When I click modify dimensions & click one dim & change it to my actual dim of (lets say) 2.25inch. The full sketch adjusts accordingly & so it deformed the entire sketch & now what is have is a bunch of lines & i am not able to make out anything, Pro/e has adjusted the sketch & i am not able of makeout anything.

My questions is:
1) Since i know that my part is a small part with biggest dim as 3 in & not 200 inch, is there a way that I can set the screen before starting the part or before strating the sketch. SO that even If I draw a line from one corner of the sketcher window to another corner it shows it to be around 1 to 10 in in lenght.
2) I understand that before starting I zoom in & then start I can do the above, but how much to zoom in so that I can have dim's around 1 to 10 in in lenght.
3)Is there anyway to reset the screen to model small size parts

4)How to align parts? I couldnot find align button while using indent manager.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I don't know about the zoom factor for small parts however, if you want to work on a sketch without it turning inside out try the following:
When you are ready to modify the first dimension in your sketch, click on a dimension, when it turns red, right-click on it and select MODIFY.
A modify dialogue box will appear.
Now, left-click on all of the other dimensions that you want to modify. Now uncheck the REGENERATE box and check the LOCK SCALE box.
Now, you should be able to change the values without the sketch imploding. The sketch should regerate once you exit this dialogue box.

Finally, for your fourth question:
If you want to align sketch entities?
There are ALIGN VERTICAL and ALIGN HORIZONTAL features in the CONSTRAINTS dialogue box.

Hope this helps,

JW

Thanks a lot JW. Your input was excellent. My problem was fully solved. You made my day. I have been struggling on this for a week & today I found out thit wonderful site.
If I have any further doubts in future I will post it & will need your help again.
Thanks for you help. :-D

The answer provided by ttx is exactly right. If you have a lot of dimensions and you don't enjoy clicking on so many, you can also prehighlight the dimensions by dragging a box around them and then selecting modify.

Another useful technique for resolving this type of problem is to select all the sketch dimensions. Choose the modify icon tick the box to lock the scale and change 1 of the dimension to your required value come out of the modify tool. The sketch will now be scaled to something near what you want and you can adjust the dimensions as required.

Andy B

You see, the default grid size for skecther is 30 units, so a line that is about 3 grid lines long is about 90 units.

You canmake a default start part, and make the default datums to say 5 units long (use RADIUS), now the sketcher zoom will be larger.

This is a workaround only.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back