Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a system to measure drilling mud level- testing rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichCWUK

Materials
Aug 3, 2009
GB
Hi,

I'm in process of getting an impact and abrasion testing rig commisioned. It simulates some parameters seen when drilling...

It has a tank, full of drilling mud, which needs to be monitored. If the mud levels are too low, we need it to shutdown (via a computer system).

The sensor needs to be...
-Corrosion resistant
-Submersible
-Extremely durable
-Cheap
...and it must give a +/- 10V output, so we can hook it up to our rig operating system.

I have seen a few examples. Float devices aren't practical as the mud is sloshing about all over the place and ultrasonic sensors are most likely expensive.

Any ideas of what to go for?? I'm a materials engineer, so i have little experience in this!

Cheers,
Rich

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it possible to put a weighted plate on top of the mud or in a baffled section of the tank where the baffle is at the top rather than the bottom and as the plate goes down to a particular depth a switch is engaged by the weight of the plate or triggering mechanism to a limit switch giving you your desired signal?

if mudtank is atmosphere vented, 2 bubble lines, a pneumatic change over valve, an accurate pressure transducer and compressed air will do the trick.valve and pressure transducer need to be mounted above high level tank.One bubble line to be connected to bottom of tank,the second 3feet or 1meter (metric system) higher.While one bubble line is fed throug valve with compressed air, the other bubble line is connected through valve with pressure transducer and vice versa.to prevent bubble lines to clog,the change over valve need to operate continuously, while compressed air supply is maintained.from two pressure measurements obtained, the gravity and level can be obtained.If you want it cheap, draw up a conversion chart, if you want it fancy, connect to plc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back