Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A wood floor without joists ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFG_mtl

Structural
Oct 9, 2019
CA
I have a client who wants to create a little mezzanine in a condo.
The height we can work with is very limited and I was wondering if there is a product that could allow us to build a floor without joists so we can save space.
Is there a product that would allow us to have the floor to be less than 4 inches?

The floor span is under 9 feet
The usual residential loads on it.

Thank you for your inputs!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never used it for floor construction specifically, but timber decking can likely handle a 9' span with typical floor loads. Look at Lock-Deck decking or solid timber decking..

Western Archrib has a product that would likely fit the bill, 4" is pretty thin though. I think theirs is called WestDek.

Alternately, maybe some form of CLT panel or NLT panel would fit the bill.

Thank you very much!

I am amazed 20 minutes and three great answers!

I am actually doing research on those products (availability in Montreal).

I will make sure to post the conclusion of this project.

Thanks again for the answers !!!

For CLT in Montreal you want to look into Nordic Structures. Those are the big guys in that area producing it.

Beware, not a cheap product. But it appears at this point you need an elegant solution, not necessarily a cheap one.

I have spec'd NLT before. The beauty of it: you dont need to wait for CLT. you just tell your carpenter how to nail the stuff together

calculation is simple, its just 2x4 @ 1.5" centres. no chance of warping or buckling

9' span is possible with residential loads

cheers

Ncivil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back