Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A240 and A182 type 316L

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapid1348

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2004
Dear Experts

Is it possible to use A240 type 316L instead of A182 type 316L in manufacturing the valve body.As far as I am concerned the mechanical, chemical and physical properties of both classes are the same and the only difference is production process.A240 is plate and A182 is forged.As a matter of fact, I have never seen a valve body made out of A240 but this time it has occured and I am worry about the quality of valve.
Please share your experience with me.

Cheers

Rapid

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The shape of plate (ASTM A240 316L) may be a problem for valve fabrication. The welding work and joint design will be inevitable.

Normally A182-316L is material for small valve. This would be the difficulty to fabricate from plate.

Yes. Valves can be fabricated by welding in accordance with ANSI B16.34, table I group 2.3 material. However, you need to review Section 2.1.5 very carefully. There are a list of requirements that must be met if a manufacturer is going to fabricate a valve body out of segments of bar, forgings, plate or castings.

Deopending on the service, you may have cause to worry. Solution treating of the weld fabricated plate valve may not have been done. You need to determine the manufacturing methods used.

One more thougth. If your valves are going to be He leak tested you don't want to machine bodies from plate or bar. The end grain effect will be enough that you will get a measureable leakage rate.
If you are making straight pattern valves and the flow direction is the long direction of the steel product you should be OK, but if you make an angle pattern or machine it out sideways you are in trouble.
Trust me on this one.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back