Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjEngKLS

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2002
US
I'm examining the potential for using ASTM
A333 Grade 6 for a -50 °F system.

Its obvious to me that this will be a more expensive system than our typical A106 piping (for warmer temps), but I don't have a good feel for how much.

Does anyone have a feel for relative installed costs of A106 vs A333 vs T316LSS pipng systems in the 4" - 6" size range?

Also what types of gyrations will I have to go through for a A333 specification? New weld procedures? Certifications? ??

Any Information is appreciated.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A333 Gr.3 is practically the same as A106 B, apart from impact requirements, so there should not be any significant cost increment.
With stainless steel of course there is a substantial cost increase (at least the double), not only because of the cost of pipe itself, but also for fittings, valves, etc. prex

Online tools for structural design

You can expect to pay a little more going from A-106 with comparable fittings to A-333 Gr6 with A-350 LF2 fittings. Maybe up to +20% overall.
The same uplift to stainless steel (18/8) would probably be x2 or x3.
Generally it's commercially viable to go with A-333 Gr6 rather than stainless. The fabrication issues are not too difficult. Check the guidelines in a standard such as ASME B-31.3 section 323. Most good fabricators will have no difficulty meeting the impact test for the PQR.
If you're doing this yourself, you will need PQRs with impact test so that's a newbie if you don't have 'em yet.
[smile]

ProjEngKLS,
FYI, I just had to switch from 4" Sch 160 A106 Gr. B pipe to 4" Sch 160 A333 Gr. 6 pipe for a project (due to low impact and shear results on the A106) and the cost delta was about $4/foot in the good direction! This cost delta is only for the pipe, but as we needed weld qualification regardless of the material, it looks like I might end up ahead on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back