Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A36 equivalent pipe specification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree with phamENG, but there may be a viable substitute.......

When you say "piping" do mean for structural applications or pipes transporting fluid?

For structural applications, A53 Gr. B has a yield stress of 35 ksi compared to 36 ksi for A36 if thats what your looking for. Otherwise, you may be interested in a round HSS A500 Gr. B (Fy = 46 ksi)

Thanks @PhamENG & @MotorCity.. I meant pipes for transporting liquid. I need to run a piping from Customer end to my equipment. Customer says his piping is A36.
Can I use SA106GrB pipe? Are they similar in chemical composition?

Unless they custom rolled that pipe from A36 plate, I highly doubt the accuracy of their information.

I'm not familiar with SA106. If you're going to weld them, you'll need to pull the chemical compositions and compare them. But again, if it's pipe, it's probably A53, not A36.

If you're in the USA and dealing with carbon steel piping, it should be specified in accordance with ASTM A53 - Standard Specification for Pipe, Steel, Black and Hot-Dipped, Zinc-Coated, Welded and Seamless.

So your common carbon steel piping will usually be ASTM A106 or A53, barring all of the API specifications. A36 is the normal material for pipe supports and it is commonly welded to A53 or A106 piping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back