Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A514 / USS T-1 toughness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamend

Materials
Oct 16, 2004
US
Can anyone provide approximate or typical Charpy impact toughness results for A514 B / T-1 steel in temperature range of roughly about +32 to +70F. Thickness range about 1-2 inches. I have found information on transition temperatures but I need an estimate of Charpy ft-lbs for the approx. temperatures stated above. This for the structural version of T-1 and is NOT for the AR variety of T-1.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Metengr - I was able to learn the following for A514 gr. F1:
1. In the longitudinal direction at +32 to +80 degrees F, we would expect a minimum of 30 ft lbs.
2. There are special melt practices and other processes that could possible improve toughness.

There are different grades of "T-1" so there could be toughness differences related to those composition variations,too.

Bamend;
Thanks for the information above. Are you sure about the minimum of 30 ft-lbs in the L (rolling) direction? Did you review specific CVN impact data with notch orientation relative to rolling direction?

I would have expected at least twice this value for the L orientation.

The information I provided in the two numbered statements was quoted from an e-mail response I received from the manufacturer. I agree it is lower than I expected. On the other hand, I noticed that the allowable S and P in the spec are somewhat higher than I expected, at least based on my experience with modern pipeline steels (yes i know they can be a different animal), and the quoted number is pretty close to the lower bound of some other data I found for some similar low alloy heat treated plate grades. The range was huge, though, including numbers much >100 ft labs, if I remeber correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back