Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A53-B vs A106-B 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sks4338

Petroleum
Jul 31, 2005
KR
I know that A53-B is not as good as A106-B.
But I don't know how A53-B is different from A106-B.

I think, maybe, the difference is in the making process and carbon content.
Or in the some other element content.(Somebody says that A53-B contains more
Si than A106-B does.)

What is the difference between them? Please help me out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to Sullivan D. Curran P.E

The most frequently used steel pipe is made to ASTM A106 or A53 requirements (2). Both have identical chemical compositions, but A106 is subjected to more rigorous testing. Both are fabricated in Grades A and B; Grade B is less ductile but has higher strength properties and is therefore specified more commonly.

Here are some more differences:

A53 is available in Type S (seamless), Type E (ERW, electric resistance welded longitudinal seam) or Type F (furnace welded) construction.

A106 is only available in seamless. A106 is a killed steel while A53 is not.

In refineries, both A53 and A106 are common for non corrosive services up to about 750 deg. F. Grade B is the norm. and I've never seen Type F used.

A106, being a killed steel, is suitable for some sevices with Hydrogen present while A53 is not.

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

Chemical composition of A53 and A106 are not the same. A106 has silicon. As stated before, it is considered killed. The reason it is suitable for certain services is that welds that meet hardness requirements(NACE or Code)can be made with A106 with the use of low hydrogen electrods and a preheat without using post weld heat treatment. HIC resistiant Steels (Hydrogen induced cracking)will normally be killed carbon steels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back