Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A564 Type 630 Condition H1150 ferritic or austenitic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rehfeld

Nuclear
Nov 27, 2006
US
Hey Everyone,

I am using a stainless steel bolting material which is designated ASTM A564 Type 630, Condition H1150. I am qualifying it using the ASME BPV Code (Section III, Subsection NF) which has different allowables for ferritic and austenitic materials but I can't seem to find guidance for martensitic materials. Which is more appropriate for qualification purposes??? Is there a paragraph in ASME that will provide some light on the subject??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rehfeld;
If you cannot find information on this particular specification of 17-4PH material for bolting it is because this material specification is not permitted for use as bolting materila by ASME B&PV Code.

ASME gives values for the Design Stress Intensity value, Sm, in Table I-1.3 from Section III Division 1 for A564 Type 630 bolt material so I assume is commonly used. The question I am really asking is the allowables given in NF-3324.6 defines seperate allowables for ferritic (Su/2 for tension)and austenitic materials (Su/3.33 for tension as an example), it does not address martensitic or precipitation hardened materials, so is there somewhere in the ASME code which gives guidance on the allowables to use of martensitic or percipitation hardened materials (an appendix or something similar)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back