Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AASHTO 17th Ed. Interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazkoop

Civil/Environmental
Aug 9, 2002
US
I am performing a load rating of a steel multi-girder bridge with a concrete deck - a fairly routine analysis. We have five girders, and the curb-curb width is 14 feet. To determine the LL distribution for the interior girders, we used Table 3. 23.1 which gave us S/7 for a single lane. For the fascia, it appears that we are limited by the provision of Section 3.23.2.3.1.5 giving us a minimum of S/5.5. There is no provision for fascia girder distribution under a single lane. If I go with a direct interpretation, my fascia girder would be subject to more load than the interior, even though a simple beam analysis would result in a significantly less load. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would help if you gave the girder spacing...I'm guessing it's around 3.5 feet?

Your interpretation of Section 3.23 is technically correct but I think what is missing is the intent of the specification.

It is my opinion the S/5.5 qualifier is intended for multi-lane bridges since it would be a rare occurance where you had 4 or more stringers and the bridge was designed for only one lane.

For your bridge with a concrete deck slab (very stiff) and closely spaced girders, the girders should be checked with the same DF.

The lower limit is #wheels/#girders which = 0.4 for your bridge. This is the absolute lower limit allowed by AASHTO and would be used for LL deflection check and possibly design if a more precise method of analysis were used.

Assuming a 3.5 ft spacing, a one-lane DF = 3.5/7.0 = 0.5

For multiple lanes, DF = 3.5/5.5 = 0.64

Using the lever rule (simple span) and assuming a wheel could be located directly over the exterior stringer, the DF = 0.5.

It is my opionion the S/5.5 is too conservative here, and a DF = 0.5 should be used for the load rating regardless of the lever rule results (i.e. DF = S/7).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back