Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

justhumm

Structural
May 2, 2003
US
I figure it's been another decade, so I thought it might make sense to open this discussion up again...

In 2024, what design/analysis software do you currently use for checking concrete or steel members against AASHTO code requirements?

After a few years hiatus from DOT-related projects, I've somewhat gotten back into that line of work. And, in recent times, a few of the packages I've had some exposure to:

STAAD

As always, I like the ability to edit and review the text inputs, but like all Bentley products, it can be extremely finicky at times. And I haven't gotten in to AASHTO code checks, if those are even available in STAAD nowadays.

MIDAS Civil

I only have a little bit of experience with MIDAS. And it seems like it has a lot of features, but I think the interface is absolutely atrocious.

Merlin-DASH

Haven't actually used Merlin-DASH since it was hosted by UMD, but I haven't even been able to get a trial version from Opti-Mate, due to a total lack of response.​

Any comments, additions, or alternatives to the software options listed above? Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use (and maintain) the BRASS suite of design software. The BRASS-Girder program is not FEA, but for girder line analysis, where crossframes/diaphragms are not included in the structural model, it works well. It does analyze girder systems, but as independent girders.

I can confirm that MIDAS is powerful but atrocious. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I've heard good things about CSI Bridge and Open Bridge. Previously worked with LUSAS which was similarly powerful and more user-friendly than MIDAS.

BRASS is an absolute gift when it is applicable, but of course the girder line method has limitations.

CSIBridge has become very popular with our staff. Several of our engineers are being trained in Open Bridge. We've been using STAAD, Leap. and MDX for many years. We haven't used Merlin Dash & DESCUS for about 20 years; I liked these better than MDX. I've also used LRFD Simon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back