Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AASHTO Water Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sforesman

Structural
Jul 11, 2008
US
My question is in reference to AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications 3.7.3 - Stream Pressure.

We are looking to underpin an existing wall type pier within a river and need to calculate the water loads. We know that the velocity, V = 17 ft/s and that the CD for the pier is 0.8 from Table 3.7.3.1-1 and therefore our longitudinal pressure p = 231 psf. What area is this pressure applied to?

My confusion lies with CD, the drag coefficient, which makes me want to apply this force longitudinally along both sides of this pier i.e. (2 sides)*(14ft high)*(50ft long)*(231psf) = 323 kips, sounds high.

However only applying the pressure to the end of the pier i.e. (3ft wide)*(14ft high)*(231 psf) = 10 kips, sounds low.

Any insight with references would be great, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your calculations appear to be right, and the resulting forces, although small, are reasonable.
These forces should be re-calculated using “debris raft” provision (commentary section) using engineering judgment when increasing stream velocity and sizing the raft.
Compare these forces to the ice loads (3.9) to have some form of checking the magnitude of your forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back