Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abandoning a sewer manhole, but not the sewer line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodstockeng

Civil/Environmental
Jan 6, 2010
US
The sewer line is located under a factory floor. Production needs to cover the manhole with equipment. We can drop a manhole on the line either 10-20' each side of the existing manhole (with difficulty).
The manhole flow is straight through and does not appear to change direction in the horizontal. I cannot determine elevation of the upstream end, so I do not know if it changes slope at the manhole or not. Are there specifications to connect the up and down sewer pipes and abandon the manhole?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can the existing manhole handle the loads from the new equipment? If yes, why not place the equipment over it and add a clean out or manhole upstream of the existing manhole? Am I missing something?

Manholes should not be installed inside of building because sewer gases may leak into the building.

Manholes are placed at changes of sewer and to allow for periodic cleaning of sewers. The spacing between manholes is typically around 400 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back