Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS 6.8 Buckling load of circular PZT plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuh

Aerospace
Jun 29, 2009
NL
Dear friends,

I am looking for help on my ABAQUS modeling of a piezoelectric plate structure. Although my ultimate goal is for vibration control but for the time being I am stuck at buckling analysis.
First let me describe my structure a little bit. I wish to control a circular plate vibration by applying an in plane load. The in plane load is applied through application of pzt annular plate surrounding the circular plate. By applying static voltage to the annular plate, it will expand or shrink which will give a tensile or pressure to the circular plate.
So, I try to model the plate in ABAQUS 6.8. Since I just interested in axisymmetric solution, so I use the axisymmetric element for my model. I constraint the nodes at the outer annular plate to not moved radial and thickness direction while the nodes at the symmetric axis I contraint from moving in radial direction. i model the structure to be in two parts, the solid circular plate and the annular plate. The material of the solid circular plate and annular pzt plate is the same which is a piezoelectric (to be specific, PIC-151). Apart of the displacement boundary condition, I specified the electric potential at the top and bottom of the structure. For circular plate, I let the electric potential to be zero at both top and bottom of the plate, which emulate a closed circuit condition. While for the annular plate, I specified the electric potential to be zero at the bottom and varies at the top. Further, to connect the solid circular part and annular part, I used the TIE constraint. (I hope that explained my model).

So here are my problems,
1. the obvious results that disturb me most is that I obtained a unsymmetric and twisted element at the connection edge of annular and solid circular plate after a linear static step. However, if I changed the solid circular plate material from a piezoelectric to an alloy. It works just fine.
2. I do not obtained a correct results for the buckling analysis (even if I changed the material of the solid circular plate, the results is incorrect). I compared my ABAQUS results with my MATLAB code which I have validated the codes with some results available in literature.

To give further indication, I checked the stress distribution through radial direction after the linear static step. It gave an excellent agreement with the result from my analytical calculation excepts at the interface between the solid circular and annular plate. The radial displacement at the interface shows almost exact agreement (I checked the nodes in the middle only).

Therefore, I would like to seek some advise,hints from experts in this forum that might help me in showing me what's wrong with my model. I have been looking for the solution for more than month now.

Thank you.

Abu Luqman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back