Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS Composite Layup - Orientation Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGTips

Student
Mar 6, 2024
GB
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently having an orientation issue with a composite layup I have created in Abaqus. I've been running a compression model for a composite laminate with no issues. Now I'm trying to assign damaged areas to a ply using sets and the composite layup option on abaqus. I keep getting the error that I've screenshotted below. I assume that assigning 2 sets with different material properties has created an orientation issue however I have no idea how to fix it.

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has!

abaqus_issue_2_dyfvpa.png
abaqus_issue_3_mzgipf.png
abaqus_issue_4_hgcjkg.png
abaqus_issue_1_okh5tx.png
abaqus_issue_5_hyqpdc.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the documentation chapter Abaqus Introduction & Spatial Modeling --> Spatial Modeling --> Element Definition --> Orientations (paragraph "Use with Shell, Continuum Solid Shell, Membrane, or Gasket Elements or with Contact Surfaces"). It explains how Abaqus treats the defined orientations for those elements. Due to cyclic permutation, the axis selected as the axis for additional rotation (even 0) is crucial here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back