Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombirena

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2016
HR
Hello,

greetings to all.

I'm very much desperate. I'm running out of time with my master thesis and I'm spinnin in circle with Abaqus contacts, so If someone can help, I would be very grateful.

I have something like 3 beams on each others, something like on the picture I'm uploading, which are in RL conected on 3 spots with bolts. Those spots I have connected with TIE (green lines on picture), but I have problems with touching surfaces during loading. They penetrate each other when they bend, of course [smile]

In the picture I've put plan and side view of those beams. Upper and lower beam are touching middle tangentially so i belive there lies my problem. I have tried surface to surface, node to surface, in every contact I've tried to switch master and slave surface, tried all kind of combinations with hard contact (which I use 'penalty' and not allowing separation after contact otherwise my simulation breaks). I also have define tangential component.

I have tried to partition each beam (like left and right side in plan view), and then define contact, but then i get error that surfaces intersect. I've tried with contact in initial step, in first, no changes. General contact do not help at all. It doesnt even recognize contact places.

currently I'm using C3D8I elements. I was told to use C3D20R, but my simulation breaks with them. With C3D20 it completes, but just like C3D8I, it penetrate in each other, but with longer running time. [bigsmile]

If someone have any idea, It would be awesome. Sorry for lumped thoughts.
Good day to all. :)

Untitled_oyxnhy.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you see large penetrations, then you should check these points:

- deformation scale factor in postprocessing
- penalty stiffness
- choice of master and slave
- mesh density

Without having the model it is hard to say anything more specific.

PS: In very complex contact situation it can be efficient to use A/Explicit instead of A/Standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back