Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS/Explicit: maximum initial strain-rate where Smooth step (Amplitude) is applicable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowWarrior

Civil/Environmental
Aug 21, 2006
AU
Smooth step (Amplitude) is helpful in avoiding excessive distortion at the beginning of the analysis, but I was wondering what is the maximum initial strain-rate we can use it? Say for example, in quasi-static the strain rate is 10[sup]-4[/sup] s[sup]-1[/sup] and Smooth step gives a better result than Ramp loading. So what is the upward limit of strain-rate that we can use the Smooth step, 1 s[sup]-1[/sup]? 10 s[sup]-1[/sup]? or 100 s[sup]-1[/sup]??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless I am missing something, aren't you simply going from F1=m*a_original to F2=m*a_artificial? You just monitor inertial energies or plot the second derivative of a nodal x/y/z displacement or something like that.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

@Dave442, Thanks for the tip, I always follow this rule while doing quasi-static analysis in ABAQUS/Explicit.

In the experiment I am applying loading as "linear ramp", but in the simulation I am defining loading as "Smooth step". While in quasi-static strain-rate (10[sup]-4[/sup] s[sup]-1[/sup]) this is not something important, my concern is that at high strain-rates (strain rate >1 s[sup]-1[/sup]) the difference becomes something problematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back