Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus: Explicit or Implicit for forming processes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahildershavn

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2015
NO
Hello,

I am currently involved in simulation of bending of aluminium sections. So far most of my simulations have been performed using Explicit solver as this is supposedly faster, however when using Implicit solver the results seem to be better, with less trouble with excessive displacements/distortion.

The simulations typically take 1-2 seconds in real life. Trying to simulate this using explicit solver requires either a lot of time or the use of mass scaling and a time period of say 0,01 second. Unless I use mass scaling I am afraid that the dynamic effects will be too great, and I have experienced this many times. Using mass scaling introduces other "issues", and just as often as not, the simulation becomes unstable because of high distortion in elements.

I have at university used DEFORM 3D for simulation of plastic deformation. This software works very well, and to my experience simulations do not take unreasonably long time to finish. This software uses implicit solver and has a very user friendly interface and also well working automatic remeshing.

I haven't tried automatic remeshing in Abaqus as of yet.

What are your thoughts on this explicit versus implicit in slow metal forming when using Abaqus? Because of licensing schemes I am only using single CPU core for calculations, so this may limit the benefit of using explicit solver I am aware.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In cases where contacts don't change often and no other discontinuities happen, A/Standard might be faster. Take the solver that works the best for the current problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back