Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus Explicit Restart Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj31

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2015
US
thread799-415009

Hello,

I'm facing a similar problem to the one posed in the thread above. I'm running a co-simulation between Abaqus/Explicit and Abaqus/CFD. My co-simulation aborted and I'm not able to restart it. Specifically, I want to restart the co-simulation from the point when it aborted and proceed with the remaining of the step. I do not want to terminate the step and specify a new step, neither change BCs or anything. I was able to successfully restart a co-simulation only when I used Abaqus/Standard to Abaqus/CFD; however, I'm having problems with restarting the Abaqus/Explicit to Abaqus/CFD co-simulation. The problem is restarting the Abaqus/Explicit job.

Prior to running my job, I requested the Restart file. I also have all the other necessary files to restart the job.

I'm trying to restart the co-simulation from batch mode using:
cosimulation cosimjob=Cosim job=Cosim-FE-Restart,CosimRes-CFD-Restart oldjob=Cosim-FE,Cosim-CFD configure=CosimRes_config cpus=24,24

My restart input files are the following:
FE:
*Heading
** Job name: CosimRes-FE-Restart Model name: FE-Restart
** Generated by: Abaqus/CAE 2016
*Preprint, echo=NO, model=NO, history=NO, contact=NO
*Restart, read, step=1, interval=120

CFD:
*Heading
** Job name: CosimRes-CFD-Restart Model name: CFD-Restart
** Generated by: Abaqus/CAE 2016
*Preprint, echo=NO, model=NO, history=NO, contact=NO
*Restart, read, step=1, interval=120

As I said before, these settings and command work perfectly when having a co-simulation between Abaqus/Standard and Abaqus/CFD. The problem is when trying to restart an Abaqus/Explicit and Abaqus/CFD co-simulation. Then, it no longer works. I get an error saying that if I want to use the interval option for Abaqus/Explicit, I need to terminate the step and start a new one, which I don't want to do.

Anyone had this problem before? Should the "recover" option be used instead for Abaqus/Explicit? How can recover option be executed for a co-simulation from the command prompt? The documentation Abaqus Analysis User Guide, Section 3.2.4 Job Execution does NOT mention anything about "recover" option.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think I found the answer to my own question. The "Recover" option cannot be used for a co-simulation between Abaqus/Explicit and Abaqus/CFD. This is according to Abaqus Analysis User Guide Section 9.1.1 Continuing an analysis without changes.

Since Recover is not an option for my case, can anyone suggest an alternative using the Restart option? It seems I need to terminate the step at that point and start a new one; however, I'm unsure how to implement this for a co-simulation, given that my BCs also have amplitudes defined.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back