Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS/EXPLICIT - surface based cohesive behavior 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francesca_

Bioengineer
Dec 6, 2022
IT
Hi everyone,

I'm working with Abaqus/Explicit and I'm trying to use surface based cohesive behavior (general contact, NOT contact pairs) between a part of stent (discretized with beams) and a tube (discretized with shell elements), in order to keep them bonded.
The contact seems to work, but I have some doubts about few parameters. What about the stiffness coefficients? Up to now, I'm using default parameters, but do you suggest me to enter specific values even if I'm not modeling de-bonding but just a "completely adhesion" between the selected surfaces?

Thank you all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that you want to model "sticky contact" - surfaces that are not initially in contact but come into contact during the analysis and then they should be permanently bonded. In such a case, I would leave the default settings. Non-default values should be used if you have a reason to do so (for example, a research paper on which your analysis is based provides such values, something is not working as expected or you want to calibrate the analysis based on physical tests). Check the results and see if they need some improvement in terms of contact. And if you have enough time then it will be even better to run multiple analyses with different values of these parameters and see if and how they influence the results.

It sounds like, in the long run, you want to model debonding between stent and the adjoining tissue. Although I am curious about the application, I am concerned about a couple of matters: How much confidence do you expect to have in your inputs? How do you intend to validate the results?

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back