Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS FEA of aluminium profile bending: Which mesh type would be most ideal for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahildershavn

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2015
NO
Hello,

I have just started using ABAQUS for the purpose of simulating the bending process of an aluminium profile. See attached image for typical profile section.
The bend radius is not severe, but defects(bulging etc. ) do occur in practical experiments. As I am used to a program called DEFORM from my studies(although 6-7 years ago I used it last time) ABAQUS is not my strength at present(working on it though). I was therefore wondering if anyone here could recommend a type of mesh for the die/tools and the profile itself? I Have stumbled upon C3D8I elements as suitable, but I am not quite sure.

hoping for some help here guys. It would be much appreciated.

prof_f8y8na.jpg

-Andreas-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd spend a lot more time on getting the mesh looking better than it is. It looks like you've just thrown an automatic mesher at it. Also I'd consider whether you need the small radii in the shape as it's doubtful they'd have any significance on the overall deformation. The poor mesh you have at the moment is more likely to affect the deformation than these small features.

The mesh shown is just a coarse mesh I made to check if the simulation would run. I have divided the profile/body into regions and added mesh seeds on relevant edges. I will post an update as soon as I have made the changes.
Thank you for advice.

-Andreas-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back