Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS FEM composite shell modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris10B

Aerospace
Oct 20, 2016
DE
Hello,

I am modelling a composite bicycle rim using continuum shell elements. I am a little confused with how ABAQUS distributes ply properties to elements through the shell. What if I have for example 3 elements through the thickness, but the stacking sequence uses 9 plies?

I found an ABAQUS tutorial which creates sets for each element layer through the thickness and assigns an appropriate number of plies. So for my example case that would be 3 sets each with 3 plies.

Does anybody know if this approach can be avoided? When the geometry is complex and meshes are fine, selecting individual element layers is very impractical. Will ABAQUS distribute the ply propperties among the elements itself if you just assign the stacking sequence to the whole section?

2016-10-28_15_35_45-3Ds_composite_wing_exercise.pdf_-_Adobe_Acrobat_Reader_DC_en4tbv.jpg

blob_ghw3jf.png

-Thanks!

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Chris,

I'm familiar with the tutorial you put on the post, and it is not done with SHELL elements but Solid elements, as it is written on the top-left "Element Type" of your last screenshot.
So in your case, with SHELLS, the layup will be defined as you set it in the "Composite Layup" definition.

You can use the "Set" technique to define different layups and sections on a shell, for example for scarfing or ply drop-offs.

Hope it helps,
cheers,

Bruno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back