Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus Force Convergence issue due to large motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pike12

Structural
May 18, 2023
US
Hi,
I am running an inertial relief based pin joint model in ABAQUS with a pin inserted in a casting bore (the mid portion of the shank lands in the bore of the casting). Between the interaction of the pin and the bore hole, there are 2 other components fitting in as "sleeves".
The loads are being applied to the pin on either side of the bore. The problem is load being applied on one side is significantly higher than the other. This is causing the pin and its sleeve component to experience a coupling force and subsequent motion in one direction.
My analysis is unable to attain force equilibrium (contact constraints are converging and moment equilibrium is within tolerances) and is getting a lot of cutbacks.
I have tried using *CONTACT CONTROLS, STABILIZATION (using default factor and a factor of 0.05), decreasing minimum time increment and max time increment, increasing spring stiffness between components and using both small sliding and finite sliding for the pin and attached components to no avail.

The nodes the message file points out to are mostly nodes at various locations in the model (also checked the referenced nodes and surrounding mesh for quality.)

Here is the message I get for the last increment ABAQUS tries.

MAX. PENETRATION ERROR 1.94728E-15 AT NODE 282611 OF CONTACT PAIR
(B03_INNERRACE_PIN_S12,B03_PIN_INNERRACE_M12)
MAX. CONTACT FORCE ERROR -7.06047E-09 AT NODE 246792 OF CONTACT PAIR
(B03_OUTERRACE_LINK_S2,B03_LINK_OUTERRACE_M2)
THE CONTACT CONSTRAINTS HAVE CONVERGED.

AVERAGE FORCE 53.0 TIME AVG. FORCE 46.2
LARGEST RESIDUAL FORCE 0.227 AT NODE 283538 DOF 2
LARGEST INCREMENT OF DISP. 1.393E-03 AT NODE 288789 DOF 1
LARGEST CORRECTION TO DISP. -7.348E-05 AT NODE 288789 DOF 1
DISP. CORRECTION TOO LARGE COMPARED TO DISP. INCREMENT

AVERAGE MOMENT 3.990E+05 TIME AVG. MOMENT 3.093E+05
LARGEST RESIDUAL MOMENT -1.194E-09 AT NODE 303 DOF 4
LARGEST INCREMENT OF ROTATION 7.399E-06 AT NODE 303 DOF 5
LARGEST CORRECTION TO ROTATION -3.895E-07 AT NODE 304 DOF 5
THE MOMENT EQUILIBRIUM EQUATIONS HAVE CONVERGED

***NOTE: THE SOLUTION APPEARS TO BE DIVERGING. CONVERGENCE IS JUDGED UNLIKELY.

***ERROR: TIME INCREMENT REQUIRED IS LESS THAN THE MINIMUM SPECIFIED

***ERROR: THE ANALYSIS HAS BEEN TERMINATED DUE TO PREVIOUS ERRORS. ALL OUTPUT
REQUESTS HAVE BEEN WRITTEN FOR THE LAST CONVERGED INCREMENT.

Would appreciate any help with respect to resolving this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you, @FEA Way. That would definetly be a great way to go about it. I read your replies about the same on another thread on quasi static and it was very informative.
Unfortunately, I am restricted to static for this one due to company rules (basically anything outside of the static realm, even quasi static is avoided for most cases).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back