Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Abaqus Import Analysis - Surfaces Import Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrea96

Bioengineer
May 20, 2024
AU
Hello, I am trying to do an import analysis with Abaqus CAE. I simulated some steps with the Explicit solver, now I need to import 2 deformed parts with the initial state in a new Explicit simulation to simulate additional steps.

I imported the deformed mesh from the last frame of the simulation, including all sets and surfaces. Then I set up the simulation and create the predefined fields.

When I then try to launch the simulation, I always get this error:

***ERROR: THE SURFACE ASSEMBLY_ART-1_BIF-SURF-IN-OUT HAS NOT BEEN LOCATED

and this occurs for each surface and set for the parts that have a predefined field.

When looking at the .inp file, in the *Part section only the new defined parts are present (not the ones imported) and the assembly has the correct import definition:

*Instance, library=exp-dritto-short2, instance=ART-1
** PREDEFINED FIELD
** Name: Predefined Field-1 Type: Initial State
*Import, state=yes, update=no
*End Instance

It seems like that the sets and surfaces from the old simulation weren't imported in the new one, and if I define them in the Part Module of the new simulation they are not written in the .inp file.

Could someone help me? I couldn't find anything on it anywhere. Thank you!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you trying to reuse the surfaces from the previous analysis ? When preparing import analysis in Abaqus/CAE, it's better to copy the original model, modify what's necessary and apply the initial state field.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the surfaces and sets between the two analyses should be the same.
That is what I did, I opened the original .cae file and then edited it. The only difference is that I need to import the deformed mesh of two parts, because I need to position other new instances with respect to the deformed parts and I need to avoid contact.

But the parts (and thus sets and surfaces) onto which I applied the initial field state are not written in the .inp file, but they are directly imported in the assembly section.
So I guess that when reading a BC applied to ART-1.Surf-INT the solver cannot find the surface, because it is not present in the *Part section and is not imported from the old simulation.

Do you have any idea on how to solve this?

Thank you.

Imported parts aren't present under *PART, they are either imported as instances (and present under the *INSTANCE keywords) or element sets (and present under the standalone *IMPORT keywords). The former approach is needed for models defined in terms of assemblies while the latter is used for so-called flat input files. Maybe should try with such an input deck. Then you can also use *IMPORT SURFACE to import surfaces manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back