Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus parametric study help

Status
Not open for further replies.

swahlgren

Structural
Jul 1, 2015
DK
Hi guys,

I am running a parametric study with Abaqus and it runs just fine but I am having trouble extracting the results I am looking for:
[ul]
[li]The x-coordinate of a node that is defined by a nodeset with a single node. The node number for the nodeset is a parameter in the study so it changes with each run.[/li]
[li]The J-integral of a contour around a crack tip. The crack tip etc. have been defined so the J-integral is calculated - I just need a way to retrieve it as a result of each run.
[/li]
[/ul]

Hope you can help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can request the COORD output variable which stores nodal coordinates. The J integral is written to the .dat file so it can be accessed easily.

Typically using Python scripting. Check the following documentation chapter: Scripting --> Accessing an Output Database --> Using the Abaqus Scripting Interface to access an output database --> Reading from an output database --> Reading history output data.

Not to be rude - I appreciate you're trying to help - but if the answer was obvious from consulting the documentation I wouldn't be asking my question here. I am looking for very specific help, i.e. the actual commands.

At the end of that documentation chapter, there's an example of a Python script that reads history output and writes it to a file. You could try adjusting it to your specific case. But it also depends on what you want to do with the results. For example, some automation and optimization software like Isight can just read the data from the specified locations of text files so you could read the data directly from the .dat file.

The script doesn't work as is in the abaqus parametric study environment and I don't have enough experience with python and abaqus to port it.

Parametric study may not be sufficient for your purpose. It can only generate and execute multiple analyses that differ in the values of some inputs. There is an option to gather and report the results (described in the documentation chapter Scripting Parametric Studies) but that's pretty much all. For more advanced automation you will have to switch either to full Python scripting or Isight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back