Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS - Predefined stress field - Cap plasticity could not adjust

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBdr

Geotechnical
Apr 17, 2022
CA
Dear all,
Using the ABAQUS software (standard solver), I am modeling cyclic settlements of a concrete foundation embedded in soil. I am using the Drucker-Prager with Cap Plasticity material model for the soil, and I am assigning a Cap hardening curve.
Before applying the cyclic loads, I need to create the initial stress condition in the soil resulting from gravity (self-weight), with zero initial deformations. For that purpose, I assign a predefined field (Type: geostatic stress) in the initial step.
But when I run an analysis, first a warning appears indicating that “There are points in the model which have initial stresses outside the initially defined yield surface. The values defining the position of cap will be adjusted to remove the inconsistency.”
Then the analysis aborts with an error, indicating that “a valid cap adjustment cannot be found”.
Please kindly let me know, how I can assign the initial self-weight stresses in the soil, with zero initial deformation, without getting this error.
Thank you so much in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you use the geostatic step type ? Double-check the units, maybe there is a mistake in the definition of a material model or initial stress. Maybe start from a single element model to test the material behavior before applying it to the model of the actual structure under consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back