Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ABAQUS results absurdity

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc123ali

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2023
HK
Respected Team, I am trying to simulate the adhesive lap joint under the applied displacment using stress- strain as material propery material and consider two types of materials one as a plate and a thin binder film inside it. I just made the whole as a one part and assembly as a dependent mesh on the whole part with two plates and one film. When I go for results and check vonmises contour it shows no change in the value of contour gradients and sometimes it shows; the same is the case with other output variables like reaction force etc. In the view port the deformed shape appears along with the undeformed even when I change the option to deformed only. The cae file is uploaded. The output nodal value for reaction force is incompatible to input data where the force increases to maximum value at zero displacement and the decreases with increase in deformation. How is it possible for the reaction force response vs deformation?
Thanks for cooperation

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c8e758d3-c97f-48bc-bc45-06716bb151cb&file=lap.cae
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Respected Team, May this problem also belong to interaction between the plates and the thin binder film because I think the assembly is just keeping the plates and the binder film together but not making the adhesive contact to the plate surface as just the plates slips over the binder film so is it necessary to develop an interaction if so then which interaction will be well suited between the adhesive and the plates?
Thanks

There’s no interaction because it’s a single part. You have to use separate parts. Normally, the adhesive should be modeled using cohesive elements or cohesive contact behavior. If you want to include the layer’s geometry, you will need cohesive elements. They can be attached to the plates using tie constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back