Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus script to find centre of the circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozo_Sam

Aerospace
Aug 22, 2019
SI
Hello,

Although my proficiency in Python is limited, I would greatly appreciate a simple script that can verify the edges of assembly instances and generate a central reference point. With this tool, I can easily create multiple connectors in a large assembly.

Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want it to be placed in the center of mass of an assembly, you can find the coordinates of that point using the getMassProperties(...) method. It will return the centerOfMass value, among the others.

Sorry for the long silene and thanks for both replies. Basically what I am trying to do is automate the connections between holes, mimicking the bolt connection, as shown on the picture.
Connector2_tmv0yk.png

The sequence of doing that, at least in my mind would be the following

1. Establish the Reference point, needed for the Coupling constraint, in the middle of the circular edge.
2. Connect the circular edge to the Reference point with coupling constraint.
3. Create a Wire connection between the Reference points in a certain proximity.
4. Assign the BEAM connector to the wires.

So creating the reference point in the middle of the circle is the first step. Hope that clarifies a few things.

Don’t model holes.
Remove them, connect nodes placed at the center of the holes.
The typical wagon wheel rigid element modelling with holes just doesn’t give correct stress at the holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back