Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus: torsion in a circular tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenimech

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2012
BE
Hello! One more question :) My model in abaqus is a circular tube and I need to apply torsion in one side of it. The other side is not movable, but the torsion should affect the whole segment. I apply rotation in one side but I do not good results. Do you know any other way to apply torsion? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ummmm,
I had the same problem the last year when i was designing a formula student car steering system... I was new doing FEM analysis and if i see the results, maybe i would be ashamed!!! hahahaha.
Now i am more experienced and i would approach the problem as follows:
Put the boundary conditions in the unmovable side, make a set with the nodes and select U1,U2,U3.
To simulate the torsion, instead of creating a momentum in the face, create a distributing coupling to put the momentum in a node.
Master node: A point created in the middle of the cylinder face.
Slave nodes: The nodes of the face.
When you select the distributing coupling, could be enough to active only the spin that affects to the momentum. Do some tests.
Now that i have time i will try your model. Give me some dimensions and a load and i will try.
Regards.

I´VE GOT IT!!!
When you create the distributing coupling, create a surface, not a node set, and link the master node with the surface.
Regards.

Thank you very much for the answer. Now , I saw it. I've tried the coupling method but I did not have good results. I was coupling a node (reference point) which is in the middle of the tube with one of the outer surfaces where the torsion is applied. Then I set BC rotation 60 degrees on the node. Is this correct? It seems very similar to one you describe. The outer diameter of the tube is 5mm, the inner 4.5mm and the length 10mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back