Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABB ACS255 120VAC 1PH Input/230VAC 3PH Setup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpticControl

Electrical
Sep 14, 2021
US
Hello,

I am commissioning an ABB VFD ACS255 IP20 model. According to the manual the input is 120VAC 1PH and the output is 230VAC 3PH.
I have it wired to a Baldor motor that is 230V, 3PH and 60Hz.

I have the VFD configured with the motor specifications.

When I try to start the motor on running, it goes all the way to 10Hz even though the programmed frequency target is 50Hz and on the output of the VFD I am reading 50V with my multimeter across the phases. The motor is not spinning.

My understanding is that as soon as the VFD kicks in I should be reading 230VAC on the output.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Mr. OpticControl (Electrical)(OP)16 Aug 22 19:30
" ....I am commissioning an ABB VFD ACS255 IP20 model. According to the manual the input is 120VAC 1PH and the output is 230VAC 3PH. ....I have it wired to a Baldor motor that is 230V, 3PH and 60Hz...."
1. Attention: The user's manual 3AXD10000528266 Effective 2017-06-29 is Wrong!. The user's manual 3AXD10001010247 Rev.A Effective 2019-11-10 drawing are in order.
2. The ACS255 IP20 model is for single-phase 115V input. It is NOT suitable for your 230VAC 3PH motor.
3. If you have only 115V 1-phase power source, a possible solution would be to install a 1-phase step-up transformer 115/230V or higher, feeding to the VFD. Select a 1-phase VFD input =/> 230V would be able to generate 230V 3-phase output.
4. Attention: The 1-phase input to 3-phase output VFD shall be over-size. Ask ABB for advice the suitable type and current rating.
5. After adding a 115/230V step-up transformer the VFD input is 230V 1-phase but out put is 230V 3-phase. The the absence of ABB official advice, a factor of 2 would be in order i.e. 1-phase input current shall be rated to 2 times the 3-phase output (load) current.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

The output voltage will be commensurate with the speed, a VFD maintains a constant volts per hertz ratio (relatively constant anyway).

What might be going on is a load issue. The drive likely has what’s often called “current limit” that will prevent you from trying to have the drive try to deliver more current than it is capable of, which would damage the drive. The WAY the drive limits the current is to override the speed command and limit the output.

So what is the current rating of the drive and what is the FLA of the motor?

Side note: there ARE drives that accept 115V input and give 230V output, it is done using what’s called a “voltage doubler” circuit in the rectifier section of the drive. This is however VERY limited in scope, usually stopping at 1HP (.75kW). But Hp/kW ratings are estimates, what REALLY matters is amps. That’s why I was asking about that.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

A;so there is a setting that controls the minimum
speed allowed. That will cause the motor to spin
up to that value regardless of the otherwise commanded a
speed. Sounds like that may be happening.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Go point from Keith. Which raises another issue:

Was this drive brand new out of the box from ABB, or bought used or surplus from somewhere? With all the supply chain problems, a number of suppliers are buying surplus drives from brokers that are often told to be “new old stock” but are in fact used. If so, there may be some remnant programming in the drive that you didn’t put in, but we’re unaware of and with hundreds of parameters it’s hard to know what someone did. So you could try doing a reset to factory defaults, then start over with your programming.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Hello,

Based on the manual, we have set the ACS255 to the following operating parameters:
Parameter 9902 is set to 0
Parameter 1103 is set to 1

These settings essentially should allow us to operate the VFD while the DI2 is closed (Run enabled). See image.

Screenshot_2022-08-28_220319_zg04v4.png

This is an out of the box VFD.

We tried manually spinning the shaft while connected to the pump and it didn't turn either, so we are waiting on a new pump because the one currently installed seems to have its bearing damaged. This seems to be the root cause of the problem.

I will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back